Monday, February 29, 2016

Uh-oh! My Cloth is Getting Awful Dirty…and I Think it May Smell Funny


Laundering Norwex Microfiber

Norwex makes some ‘blow your mind’ cleaning products! They are however just that, cleaning products. Alongside the wonders they work on all sorts of messes, the cloths themselves do need to be cleaned. I am going to give you a quick rundown on how to care for and clean your Norwex Products.

As you know from my demonstration, I tend to put a lot of emphasis on “How to care for your cloths”. It is important to me when people invest in Norwex products they also know how to properly care for their investment – they will be so much happier! 

With that said, I also GIVE everyone who attended our demonstration – along with those who placed an outside order – a small packet of Norwex Laundry Detergent. I do this for several reasons;

1) I myself never bought Norwex Laundry Detergent with my first investment.
2) I cleaned like crazy and had really, really dirty cloths
3) Turns out Norwex Laundry Detergent is indeed, like everything else they sell, amazing!
4) I want my customers to get the maximum use out of their Norwex products. 

Now, onto Norwexing the Norwex

Wash slightly dirty microfiber with Norwex Dishwashing Liquid under warm running water. Rinse thoroughly, hand to dry or drop into the dryer for nest results. Magnetic EnviroCloth® should be air-dried.

I do this after almost every use. I put a super small drop of Norwex Dishwashing Liquid into the cloth, rub it against itself, rinse with warm water, and hang to dry. Super simple.  
Launder microfiber cloths separately or with lint-free laundry. Dry completely. 
I have clients who wash their Norwex in their washing machine and love it! I haven't had anyone wash their cloths with other clothes. Norwex recommends washing with lint free laundry because the lint will become trapped in the microfibers, causing a loss of cleaning power. We absolutely do not want that! I clean my lint trap after every load. AND after every load there is lint in the trap. Which causes me to conclude - we don't have any lint free laundry. I suggest washing separately...better safe than sorry!
For deep, stubborn stains or ordors, microfiber can be boiled for ten minutes to allow the fibers to swell and release the debris.
I use my cloths all. the. time. Seriously, all the time! As I use my cloths throughout the week and I feel like a cloth needs to be boiled, I hang it to dry and then throw it in my 'boiling pot' which is under my sink. You would be amazed at how much space you have under your sink without all of those 'cleaners'. 
About once a week I will pull the pot out, boil some water (enough to cover the cloths), throw in a pinch of Norwex Laundry Detergent and boil the cloths for 5-10 minutes. I separate the cloths into colors - I had a red cloth (pomegranate) that bled into some of my other colors the first time I boiled my cloths. Lesson learned. I stir the pot every so often and once my timer goes off I bring it to the sink. I use a wooden spoon to pull the cloths out of the pot and run hot water over them to remove any debris that was released in the boiling process. Once I have all of the cloths out I run cool water over the cloths and begin my next batch. While the next batch is boiling I wring out each cloth and hang it to dry. 
There are many, many different ways to hang your cloths to dry, this is just one of the ways we use at our home!

This is another way. I simply put a small tension rod up under our bathroom vanity. I hang my bathroom EnviroCloth along with my makeup-remover cloth to dry. I typically also have an EnviroCloth designated to cleaning our toilets, it must have been in the other bathroom when I took this photo. :o)
I also use the adhesive hooks in the shower to allow my body cloths and make-up remover cloth to hang dry.

Between launderings, use our Rubber Brush to remove dirt from Mop Pads and Entry Mat.
The rubber brush is fantastic for the mop pads! I like to take the dry mop pad outside and 'go to town' on it. I also use they Rubber Brush on the Wet Mop Pad in the sink with the Liquid Dishwashing Soap to get out stubborn particles. 
Do not use bleach, fabric softners or dryer sheets when laundering microfiber as these additives coat the fibers and reduce their ability to clean effectively.
These additives clog up the microfiber and also coat the silver! NOT that wonderful silver!!! I am also going to add regular liquid dish washing soap to this list. It also has fillers that will inhibit the silver from working properly. 

Check your labels especially for perfumes and dyes. I really like the app "Think Dirty", I think it is only an iPhone, iPod, etc. app. It allows you to see the ingredients in a product as well as ranking products on a "Dirty Meter" scale from 0-10. You can click on the chemicals and see their data points...um let me tell you...there are a lot of products that are no longer on my bathroom self - or in my house!!! 
Do not use microfiber (except Norwex Optic Scaf) on anti-glare surfaces. 
It works just a little bit too well... 


The Deep Clean Method:

This is one of the reasons I feel it is so important for those people interested in Norwex to attend a demonstration! There is so. much. information! If you have used regular liquid dishwashing soap on your cloths, or haven't let them dry out all the way before using them again, don't beat yourself up! I did it! Yep, it's true! Your clothes should be able to be saved by using a "Deep Clean Method".

There are several different approaches to this method, basically boil water, add Norwex Detergent, add cloths, remove from heat, allow to cool, rinse with hot water, and allow to dry. If a smell remains, or when rinsing your cloth the excess water is still dingy, repeat. 

This is my method more in-depth. 

1) Heat water (enough to cover the cloths) along with 1 teaspoon of Norwex Ultra Power Plus(TM) Laundry Detergent to a boil. 
2) Remove pot from heat and add cloths. 
3) Allow the water to cool - I typically let it sit overnight. 
4) Rinse each cloth with warm/hot water to allow any debris that was released during soaking to be removed. 
5) Wring to remove excess water, make sure the water is clear. 
6) Allow to dry completely - either by hanging or in the dryer. 

Photos...for those of use who enjoy visuals!
  
Fill a pot with hot water. 

Add 1/2 Teaspoon of Norwex Laundry Detergent

Heat water to a boil.

Beginning to Boil...

EnviroCloth Pre-Deep Clean.

Remove pot from heat source.

Add Cloth(s) - you can do more than one at a time. :o)

Allow water to cool completely - I prefer allowing them to sit overnight.

Rinse with hot water, this will release any debris that may have been left in the fibers. 

The water after one deep cleaned cloth...yikes!

Wring as much water from the EnvrioCloth as possible. 
The EnviroCloth after the deep clean, the cloth is stained and that is ok! It still works great!

Hang to dry! Our fabulous custom cabinet company installed this super cool towel drying rack that keeps the damp cloth away from the wood! It is awesome! (And full of Norwex!!!)

You can also toss it in the dryer at this point if you wish!

Tips: 
Use Norwex Ultra Power Plus™ Laundry Detergent for best results.
Make sure you allow your cloths to dry completely. Either hanging to dry or in the dryer. If they are not allowed to dry completely they may develop an smell. The smell can be taken care of with the "Deep Clean" method.  

Happy Norwexing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment